23 March 2008

Sunday Salon: a run of good ones


One of the really good things about belonging to discussion groups and reading the blogs of others, is that you collect lists and lists of recommendations, and you are never at a loss for what to read. It is more the selection of the next book that is the problem. I have enough unread books lying around to last me well over a year, in the unlikely scenario that I never bought or acquired any more.

When you look at my ratings of the books I've read this year, you would be forgiven for thinking that I'm easy to please. I don't see it that way at all. All the books I have lying around are likely to be "good reads" because the hard work of choosing has already been done, by the lists and lists that come my way.

So in the last week I have read

I read almost exclusively crime fiction, and I rate all I read between 0 and 5 with 5 as the best.

This year I've awarded 5.0 twice
One of the things I blogged about earlier this week was How much to reveal in a review
I am interested in collecting people's thoughts about how a good review is structured.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm having a detective weekend as a holiday from some of my more 'heavy-weight' reads. So far I've read the new Reginald Hill, a Rankin and am just about to start on the Peter Temple book that won last year's dagger. Enjoy your Easter.

Kerrie said...

Thanks for popping in. I'm glad to see you've found Peter Temple. Let me know what you think of THE BROKEN SHORE. Perhaps you might enjoy Garry Disher's CHAIN OF EVIDENCE. It won last years's Ned Kelly Award for best novel. Peter Temple won the 2006 Ned Kelly.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin