13 October 2008

Comics not really my cup of tea

I thought I'd try a book recommended on one of the lists that I belong to.
It's been a long time, perhaps almost half a century, since I have read comics, and I usually shudder at the thought of a popular novel being delivered as a comic. Even though I once used to devour Classics.

Anyway this book, THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF BEST CRIME COMICS, edited by Paul Gravett, came well recommended, so I borrowed it from the library.
But it's no good - they are just not my cup of tea. I don't know what it is, the block capitals, the fact that you have to "read" each little bit, the fact that they feel cramped. Don't let me put you off though. You may enjoy them.

If you feel inclined, over on Paul Gravett's site, you can view 8 pages of comics online.

On the other hand, I quite often enjoy a single cartoon, and I really couldn't resist posting this one even though I probably shouldn't. My excuse is that perhaps I may interest you in subscribing to Unshelved. I get it every day in my email, all about libraries and books.
Will this one persuade people to read Flesh House?
http://www.unshelved.com/archive.aspx?strip=20081012

Strip published Sunday, October 12, 2008

Unshelved comic strip for Sunday, October 12, 2008

If you want to check the "real thing", pop over to Stuart MacBride's blog, Half Head.
About himself he says "Stuart MacBride lives in the North East of Scotland, where he writes gruesome crime novels and grows gruesome potatoes."

4 comments:

Mack said...

I don't often read crime comics because I'm like a junkie where graphic novels are concerned. I kicked the habit once and don't know if I can trust myself to be moderate. I did pick up Fell vol. 1:Feral City by Warren Ellis which I thought terrific - hardboiled detective noir maybe edging toward fantasy.

Kerrie said...

What's the diff. between a comic and a graphic novel Mack? Are they the same thing?

Mack said...

It's classier to say graphic novel than comic. :)
A graphic novel is a form of comic. I'd say that main difference is that graphic novels have more complex stories.I'm not an expert but I'd also say that in graphic novels you really see how writer, letterer, and illustrator work together. As I was reading Fell I thought how several pages of text can be rendered in four to six panels on a graphic novel page

Marg said...

I love reading Unshelved, especially the Sunday one where they focus on a book like the one you have shown.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin