28 June 2009

Sunday Salon, 28 June 2009


My mother's 89th birthday today, and I'm happy to report that both she and dad (93) are both well, still looking after themselves and definitely on the ball.
We've been out for lunch at their favourite local pub. My sister had the bright idea of giving Mum a portable CD player for her birthday - opens up a whole range of possibilities for future gift giving.

We forgot to take the camera with us, but here are Mum and Dad on their wedding day back in 1940. They'll celebrate 69 years this November.

Did you know there are now nearly 400 Sunday Saloners?
Let me know if you are a crime fiction reader like me.

This last week seems to have had a lot of preoccupation with Agatha Christie, not only because of the creation Agatha Christie Blog Carnival #6 but also with the debut of Julia McKenzie as Miss Marple.
In addition this week I have been trying to read my way through the shortlist for the CWA International Dagger. I'm halfway through the 5th out of 6 titles, so I guess at this stage I will make it.

New blog

Fair Dinkum Reviews is a collective blog being added to by a group of Australian book reviewers including me. We will mainly be including crime fiction but not exclusively. If you want to monitor inclusions either by RSS feed or by becoming a "follower".
Published so far reviews of
What do you enjoy when you visit a blog? What do you look at?
I enjoy reading the book reviews, the memes and the various widgets people are using. Everybody's blog is different, both in terms of the actual content, and in the layout. Some people have such interesting images too.
I'm interested in knowing what you like best on mine.

8 comments:

Uriah Robinson said...

Congrats to your Mum! And your Dad 69 years married is quite an achievement.
My mother in law and father in law both lived well into their 90s; 98 and 94 and we are celebrating my aunt's 90th birthday next week. They made that generation tough and resilient.

Kerrie said...

Thanks Norman. They are certainly very resilient, although lots of their friends are now, in my father's words, "popping their clogs"

Bernadette said...

I was just on the phone with my dad - told him he was only a spring chicken (he turned 86 a few weeks ago) and mum is positively young at 82. My folks put their longevity down to never visiting the doctor (and having worked for the health department for a while now I'm not sure they're wrong). Nice to hear you all had such a nice day celebrating your mum's birthday.

Literary Feline said...

Happy birthday to your mother, Kerrie! My parents' wedding anniversary was yesterday and so my parents have been celebrating too. :-)

Thanks for the link to the Fair Dinkum Reviews! I've added it to my Google Reader.

I hope you have a great week!

BooksPlease said...

Happy Birthday to your Mum! What a good idea to give her a portable CD player - I hope she enjoys it.

As for your questions, I like reading your book reviews, voting in your questionnaires and finding out the results. I also like the personal bits - like the 4Play meme - I'm still writing mine by the way, I haven't forgotten just been busy with family stuff. I also enjoy seeing photos on blogs, old ones like your parents' wedding photo as well as new ones.

gautami tripathy said...

Happy birthday to your mom! I wish her many many more!

Aren't we lucky to have our parents as long as we can?

My dad was 72 when he passed away, in 2002. I still miss him so much but I am truly blessed that my mom is with me.

wrath of nature

Kerrie said...

There was a big party of 80 year olds celebrating somebody's birthday at the pub yesterday. Sticks and "walkers" everywhere!

Thanks for all the kind thoughts everyone. Yes we are lucky they are lasting so well Gautami, but I am always conscious of the ever shortening time left.

Mum was very pleased with the CD player, and seemed confident she could use it after her short lesson. We gave her a batch of CDs to begin with, and I think I'll throw a book in occasionally.
I gave her a couple of crime fiction novels too.

Eva said...

What a lovely picture! My mom better still be around at 89. :D (She just turned 49.)

The Christie love is awesome!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin