31 January 2011

End of the month challenge Update, 31 January 2011

I've been thinking about how to record my progress in some of the challenges where I am reading only a small number of books.
I've actually made a start in most of the 2011 challenges which is a good sign.
You will notice some overlap, with many books counting in more than one challenge.

I've decided on a monthly update record to be published at the end of each month.
Challenges will be included on these updates until I have completed them.


Canadian Book Challenge 2010-2011
Host is John Mutford at The Book Mine Set
 
I have to read 13 books by Canadian authors by 1 July 2011.
I had read 7 by the end of 2010, so I need to read another 6
  1. 4.5, MIDNIGHT CAB, James W. Nichol
  2. 4.9, THE BRUTAL TELLING, Louise Penny
2011 Global Reading Challenge:

I have committed myself to reading 21 titles, all crime fiction, 3 titles each from 7 "continents". My 7th continent - historical crime fiction.

 Africa
  1. OF WILD DOGS, Jane Taylor (South Africa)
  2. xx
  3. xx
Asia
  1. 4.5, THE HALF-CHILD, Angela Savage (Thailand)
  2. xx
  3. xx
Australasia
  1. PRIME CUT, Alan Carter (Australia)
  2. xx
  3. xx
An extra hurdle for Australasia - at least one from New Zealand.
I can count separate Australian states.

Europe
  1. 4.5, DUMB WITNESS, Agatha Christie (England)
  2. 4.4, MAIGRET & the MAN on the BOULEVARD, Georges Simeon (France)
  3. 4.7, THE MAN WHO WENT UP IN SMOKE, Maj Sjowall & Per Wahloo (Sweden)
North America
  1. 4.5, MIDNIGHT CAB, James W. Nichol (Canada)
  2. xx
  3. xx
South America
  1. xx
  2. xx
  3. xx
7th Continent: Historical crime fiction
  1. RAILWAY TO THE GRAVE, Edward Marston
    (Britain 1850s) 
  2. THE PERICLES COMMISSION, Gary Corby (Ancient Athens)
  3. xx
2011 Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge

Get a Clue Level: 7-9 books,
must have been written prior to 1960

My extra rule: all need to be by different authors 


Progress page on the challenge site
  1. 4.5, DUMB WITNESS, Agatha Christie (1937)
  2. 4.4, MAIGRET & the MAN on the BOULEVARD, Georges Simenon (1953)
  3. 4.4, IN THE TEETH OF THE EVIDENCE, Dorothy L. Sayers (1939)
Cruisin' thru Cosies Reading Challenge

'll try for Investigator: 7-12 books

Definition: most cozies take place in a small town or village, generally considered "gentle" books, and the sleuth is usually an amateur. 
  1. 4.4, A COTSWOLD KILLING, Rebecca Tope
  2. 4.4, THE PERICLES COMMISSION, Gary Corby  
  3. 4.4, IN THE TEETH OF THE EVIDENCE, Dorothy L. Sayers
Ireland Reading Challenge
  1. 5.0, THE RULE BOOK, Rob Kitchin
aiming for Luck o' the Irish level (4 books)

Agatha Christie Reading Challenge

How to join the Agatha Christie Reading Challenge 


I'm aiming for my next 12 titles.
  1. 4.5, DUMB WITNESS
  2. 4.3, DEATH ON THE NILE
Aussie Author Challenge

I'm aiming for True Blue: 12 books
  1. 4.4, THE PERICLES COMMISSION, Gary Corby 
  2. 4.7, PRIME CUT, Alan Carter 
  3. 4.5, THE HALF-CHILD, Angela Savage
Nordic Challenge 2011

I'm aiming for Odin 11-20 books
  1. 4.7, THE MAN WHO WENT UP IN SMOKE, Maj Sjowall & Per Wahloo (Sweden)
  2. 4.9, BAD INTENTIONS, Karin Fossum (Norway)
e-book challenge

I'm aiming for obsessed: 20 books
  1. 4.7, THE MAN WHO WENT UP IN SMOKE, Maj Sjowall & Per Wahloo
  2. 4.9, BAD INTENTIONS, Karin Fossum 
  3. 4.7, PRIME CUT, Alan Carter 
British Books Challenge

Royal Family level: 12 books by British authors.
Extra rules: all different authors, all crime fiction.
  1. 4.5, OUR LADY OF PAIN, Elena Forbes
  2. 4.5, DUMB WITNESS, Agatha Christie
  3. 4.4, A COTSWOLD KILLING, Rebecca Tope 
  4. 4.5, RAILWAY TO THE GRAVE, Edward Marston 
Historical Fiction Challenge

Daring & Curious : 5 books
my extra rule: all need to be crime fiction
  1. 4.5, RAILWAY TO THE GRAVE, Edward Marston
    (Britain 1850s) 
  2. 4.4, THE PERICLES COMMISSION, Gary Corby (Ancient Athens) 
something New Zealand maybe 4-6 books
This is a personal challenge more than anything else.

It will be an overlapping challenge, and I aim to exceed 20 titles which was my total this year.
  1. 4.4, MAIGRET & the MAN on the BOULEVARD, Georges Simenon (French)
  2. 4.7, THE MAN WHO WENT UP IN SMOKE, Maj Sjowall & Per Wahloo (Sweden)
  3. 4.9, BAD INTENTIONS, Karin Fossum (Norway)
Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge


I'm aiming for Out of Breath: 6-10 more books than in 2010 when I read 136

My aim is 142+ and will include all books read in all formats include audio books.

You can see how I am going here. Current count: 17
Again, another personal challenge.
In 2010 I read 46 new-to-me authors and I'll be keeping count in 2011 to see if I can exceed that total, even by 1.
Current count: 6

4 comments:

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

Impressive!

Dorte H said...

Kerrie, you are making my head spin!

(Or perhaps it was spinning already - I just got an ISBN-number for my book - it feels weird and veeery professional :O)

Marg said...

That's pretty good progress for a year!

Marg said...

Err, a month I mean!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin