6 January 2011

Forgotten Books: MAIGRET titles, Georges Simenon

This week's contribution to Pattinase's Friday's Forgotten Books 

I've written before about how when I was acquiring my current taste for crime fiction, Maigret titles in Penguin paperbacks were such an important part of my diet.
MAIGRET TAKES THE WATERS
MAIGRET and THE ENIGMATIC LETT
MAIGRET and THE MADWOMAN

And yet these days they are relatively scarce in our book shops and even our local libraries don't carry many. My local library, usually so well equipped for my crime fiction tastes, carries only 9 titles, and one of those is in French, one in Italian and one in Spanish.

A poor showing really when you consider how many titles Simenon wrote, Maigret and stand-alone.
Just recently I read MAIGRET & the MAN on the BOULEVARD and really felt that it had not dated much.

But one of the items my library does carry is the set of DVDs for the television series starring Michael Gambon, and just recently we worked our way through the lot with great relish.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This wonderful cartoon is on the front page of Swedish Crime Writers' Academy (Svenska Deckarakademin).
You have probably recognised all of these famous sleuths.
Back row from the left: Lord Peter Wimsey, Gideon Fell, Jules Maigret, Sherlock Holmes, Charlie Chan, Ellery Queen
Front row from the left: Jane Marple, Father Brown, Auguste Dupin (= Edgar Allan Poe), Hercule Poirot, Nero Wolfe
Konstnär: Henry Lauritzen.

7 comments:

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

Great cartoon Kerrie, thanks for sharing it.

Paul D Brazill said...

That cartoon is fab!

Yvette said...

I love Maigret! They are classic! I came to the books late, but instantly recognized their worth. Wonderful books!

Yvette said...

Oh, and great cartoon, too! :)

Evan Lewis said...

Appears Maigret and Fell are the only two of this gang I've yet to sample.

George said...

Jeff Meyerson has read all of the Maigrets and Art Scott is closing in on reading all of them. I've read about half. Simenon's non-Maigrets are excellent, too.

BV Lawson said...

I've got "Maigret and the Yellow Dog" in my TBR pile right now and looking forward to it. I love the cartoon, too!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin