25 August 2011

Forgotten Book: THE HUNTING GROUND, Francis Clifford

This contribution to Pattinase's Friday's Forgotten Books is a book I read in 1976 shortly after I began keeping records.
At this stage I am not even sure that it is crime fiction, because I am unable to find any synopsis. I suspect it may have been what we would now term a political thriller.
The caption on the second cover says A novel of intrigue in a Caribbean police state.

Readers of this post may be able to help out, particularly if the book, THE HUNTING GROUND by Francis Clifford is one they are familiar with, or still have lurking on their shelves.

It was first published in 1964 and then again by Coronet Books; New edition edition (July 1, 1977).

According to Wikipedia, Francis Clifford is a pen name of Arthur Leonard Bell Thompson (1 December, 1917-1975), a British writer of crime and thriller novels. Born in Bristol, he served with great distinction in the Second World War, and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order.

He wrote a good number of novels (see list at Fantastic Fiction) published from 1953-1979.

He won a Silver Dagger Award twice:  Another Way of Dying (1968) and Grosvenor Square Goodbye (1974); US title: Good-Bye and Amen.
and was twice shortlisted for an Edgar: Amigo, Amigo (1973); and Grosvenor Square Goodbye (1974); US title: Good-Bye and Amen.

I've also found this information: 13 editions published between 1964 and 1997 in 4 languages and held by 175 libraries worldwide
A thriller involving an Irish photographer and a mysterious plane crash. Source
According to WorldCat Francis Clifford produced 132 works in 426 publications in 13 languages and 6,734 library holdings.

You may be interested in this post at Existential Ennui about Francis Clifford's TIME IS AN AMBUSH

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - I hate to admit it, but I can't find out much about it, either. From the very few scraps I've found, it's a political thriller, but I admit, that's not very much. If I find anything else, I'll let you know.

Martin Edwards said...

My Dad was a fan of Francis Clifford's thrillers. I never read any, but they are supposed to be pretty well written and well above average.

Anonymous said...

FC rocks. Time is an Ambush is about a photographer who gets caught up in an intrigue in an unnamed banana republic. I read it in the last 2 years but can't recall the whole plot - it's the local colour and the suspense that stand out, plus the usual erotick hijinx. Hugely under-rated writer, imho. Should be a bio of him, too.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin