I hoped the challenges would achieve a number of things:
- push me to read beyond my usual boundaries
- help me reduce the number of books waiting on TBR which had grown by the beginning of this year to alpine proportions
- by joining participating communities, I would learn of new books and titles that I should hunt down.
You can see from the general summary below that I completed all the challenges at the original levels that I signed up on. I'm feeling very happy with my achievements.
- Agatha Christie Reading Challenge 13/12 - target for 2011 achieved
- Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge: aiming for 142+ currently 160 - got there! Nov 12
- Historical Fiction Challenge 10/10 - Completed
- British Books Challenge 12/12 - completed at Royal Family Level.
Now attempting to earn a Crown (50 books) - completed
- e-book challenge 67/100 - completed at 20, now aiming for 100
- Nordic Challenge 2011 15/11 to 20 - completed
- Aussie Author Challenge 16/12- completed
- Ireland Reading Challenge 4/4 - Completed
- Cruisin' thru Cozies Reading Challenge 23/13+ - Completed
- 2011 Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge 10/9 - Completed
- 2011 Global Reading Challenge 21/21- - Completed
- Canadian Book Challenge 2010-2011 7/7 - Completed
- Canadian Book Challenge 2011-2012 7/13 - on target!
- translated, currently 23
- New Zealand 4 - Completed
- new to me: currently 60
See what I've read.
Some of the challenges such as "translated" and "new to me" were personal challenges to exceed a level from the previous year.
I do think the challenges achieved what I wanted them to do, with the exception of reducing my TBR.
They did also reveal a lot about my reading choices.
For example, I was surprised that nearly one third of my reading was British crime fiction, but on reflection a number of those were audio books. I much prefer British narrators. I also have a fondness for British police procedurals.
I have decided that in 2012 I need to target more American crime fiction - those titles don't appear very often in my reading choices, more Australian, more New Zealand, and much more from my TBR both paper and e-book.
I may just focus on setting myself targets in 2012 rather than joining challenges. I haven't really decided.
Although I will be hosting the 2012 Global Reading Challenge and also the Agatha Christie Reading Challenge.