11 February 2012

Barry Award Nominations 2012

Source: Deadly Pleasures Mystery Magazine
Background to the awards and past awards and nominations.

2012 BARRY AWARD NOMINATIONS
The Barry Awards will be presented October 4, 2012 at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame during the Opening Ceremonies of the 2012 Bouchercon in Cleveland, Ohio.

I have read so few of these, it is not funny.
What have you read? Where should I start? Any "must" reads?

Best Novel
KEEPER OF LOST CAUSES  (in U.K., MERCY), Jussi Adler-Olsen
THE ACCIDENT, Linwood Barclay
THE HURT MACHINE, Reed Farrel Coleman
IRON HOUSE, John Hart
HELL IS EMPTY, Craig Johnson
THE TROUBLED MAN, Henning Mankell

Best First Novel
LEARNING TO SWIM, Sara Henry
THE DEVOTION OF SUSPECT X , Keigo Higashino
THE BOY IN THE SUITCASE, Lene Kaaberbol and Agnette Friis
TURN OF MIND, Alice LaPlante
THE INFORMATIONIST, Taylor Stevens
BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP, S.J. Watson

Best British (Published in the U.K. in 2011)
NOW YOU SEE ME, S.J. Bolton
HELL'S BELLS (in U.K., THE INFERNALS), John Connolly
BAD SIGNS, R. J. Ellory
THE HOUSE AT SEA’S END, Elly Griffiths
OUTRAGE, Arnaldur Indridason
DEAD MAN’S GRIP, Peter James

Best Paperback Original
THE SILENCED, Brett Battles
THE HANGMAN’S DAUGHTER, Oliver Pötzsch
A DOUBLE DEATH ON THE BLACK ISLE, A. D. Scott
DEATH OF THE MANTIS, Stanley, Michael
FUN AND GAMES, Duane Swierczynski
TWO FOR SORROW, Nicola Upson

Best Thriller
CARVER, Tom Cain
COUP D’ETAT, Ben Coes
SPYCATCHER (SPARTAN), Matthew Dunn
BALLISTIC, Mark Greaney
HOUSE DIVIDED, Mike Lawson
THE INFORMANT, Thomas Perry

Best Short Story (compiled by Marv Lachman)
Doug Allyn, "Thicker Than Blood" (AHMM September)
Jeffrey Cohen, "The Gun Also Rises" (AHMM January-February)
Mike Cooper, "Whiz Bang" (EQMM September-October)
Trina Corey, "Facts Exhibiting Wantonness" ( EQMM November)
James Powell, "Last Laugh in Floogle Park" (EQMM July)
Eric Rutter, "Purge" (AHMM December)

3 comments:

Bill Selnes said...

Kerrie: The only book I have read in addition to your books is A Troubled Man. I consider it far from a must read.

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

The only one I've read is The House at Seas End, which is the third of Elly Griffiths's Ruth Galloway Investigations. I enjoyed the first two more than this last one. I found the use of the present tense in this book grated on me more than the other two and I thought the mystery element less than satisfactory – I solved it straight away! But having said all that it was still an enjoyable book, because of the characters.

By the way I have tried to enter a blog post to the Agatha Christie Carnival collecting space and the word verification keeps defeating me! Can you add my post on Sleeping Murder please? -
http://www.booksplease.org/2012/02/12/sleeping-murder-by-agatha-christie-a-book-review/

Sara J. Henry said...

Of course on the best first list I would say MY book, Learning to Swim! But honestly, I just read SJ Watson's and it's amazing - also I loved Taylor Stevens'. Hurt Machine is very strong, and I really enjoyed The Hangman's Daughter for something different.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin