22 May 2012

Crime Fiction Alphabet 2012 - Letter A is for Anne Holt

I've decided that for my participation in the Crime Fiction Alphabet in 2012 I will highlight recently read books or their authors.
So they'll all come from my 2012 Reviews.
At least that's the plan.

My choice for today is Anne Holt, a Norwegian writer.
At the time of writing, her book 1222  just makes it into my top 10 for the year, with a rating of 4.8.

This is the first book by Anne Holt that I have read, and it certainly won't be the last.
Perhaps one of the reasons that I enjoyed it so much is that it is in part a homage to Agatha Christie. Here are 269 train passengers with nowhere to go (169 of them in the hotel 1222), imprisoned by a snow storm, and with little hope of immediate rescue. So when the murder takes place, we have a classic "locked room" mystery.
My full review can be found here.

1222 was shortlisted for the 2012 Edgar Award for Best Novel in a very strong field.

Click on the cover image to read an extract.



 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie,
An excellent choice for "A." I have to confess I like those "impossible" mysteries such as we find in 1222. I'm not surprised you liked that novel as much as you did :-)

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

Have added 1222 to my priority list Kerrie. Thanks for your post

srivalli said...

Sounds like a great read! Adding it to my TBR list.

kathy d. said...

So glad you like Anne Holt and enjoyed 1222. So did I.

I find curmudgeonly Hanne to be quite an interesting character, unusual but compelling.

I'm waiting for more books in this series by Anne Holt to be translated and shipped over here.

Unknown said...

I love locked room mysteries! I'll check it out.

Marce said...

I missed that review, will go read now. I just posted, I chose Andrea Kane.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin