THE KILLING BOTTLE comes from my records of May 1992.
It was a collection of short stories published in 1932, one of the author's early works.
He is best remembered for THE GO-BETWEEN (1953) but was awarded the 1947 James Tait Black Memorial Prize for Eustace and Hilda and in 1956 he was awarded the CBE.
As far as I can work out the stories in THE KILLING BOTTLE were largely supernatural and horror stories. You can read the "title" story on Scribd.
Most of the stories had been published before.
- A Visitor from Down Under • (1926) • shortstory by L. P. Hartley
- The Killing Bottle • (1927) • novelette by L. P. Hartley (aka The Killing-Bottle)
- Conrad and the Dragon • novelette by L. P. Hartley
- A Change of Ownership • (1929) • shortstory by L. P. Hartley
- The Cotillon • (1931) • shortstory by L. P. Hartley
- Feet Foremost • novelette by L. P. Hartley
The story synopsis says: A musician tries to get his animal-loving brother committed so that he can get his hands on the family inheritance
Biography and list of works for L.P. Hartley on Fantastic Fiction.