17 May 2012

Forgotten Book: THE KILLING BOTTLE, L.P. Hartley

For many of my contributions this year to Pattinase's Friday's Forgotten Books  I am focussing on the books I read 20 years ago in 1992. By then my reading diet was almost exclusively crime fiction.

THE KILLING BOTTLE comes from my records of May 1992.
It was a collection of short stories published in 1932, one of the author's early works.
He is best remembered for THE GO-BETWEEN (1953) but was awarded the 1947 James Tait Black Memorial Prize for Eustace and Hilda and in 1956 he was awarded the CBE.

As far as I can work out the stories in THE KILLING BOTTLE were largely supernatural and horror stories. You can read the "title" story on Scribd.
Most of the stories had been published before.
The Killing Bottle was the basis of an episode in the tv series Journey into the Unknown in 1969.
The story synopsis says: A musician tries to get his animal-loving brother committed so that he can get his hands on the family inheritance

Biography and list of works for L.P. Hartley on Fantastic Fiction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - You always come up with the most interesting ideas for Forgotten Book. This is an author I'd heard of but not dug into before. Interesting!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin