- Latest additions
- 2016 Reviews
- All Reviews
- 2016 Reading Challenges Update
- 2016 Good Reading projects
- 2016 Vintage Cover Scavenger Hunt
- Authors A-Z
- USA Fiction Challenge 2014-
- Vintage Mystery BINGO 2015
- 2016-2014 Global Reading Challenge
- Aussie authors read in 2016 & 2015
- 2015 Reading Challenges Update
- Agatha Christie Novels
- 2015 Authors A to Z Reading Challenge!
- Agatha Christie Short Stories
- 2014 Reading Challenges Update
- Reviews 2012, 2013, 2014
- 2015 Reviews
- Reviews: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- 2012 & 2011 Reading Challenges Update
- 2013 Reading Challenges Update
- 2012 Global Reading Challenge
- 2013 Global Reading Challenge
- Crime Fiction Alphabet
9 May 2012
Regrets or Relief?
This post should probably be read in conjunction with yesterday's A Tome, or a Delight? because it is also an attempt to get to the heart of the matter.
However it doesn't just allude to longer books.
Sometimes, I must confess, I do get to the stage where I am impatient to find out how a book ends, how the plot threads resolve.
And I am never quite sure whether it is really because the author is getting too long winded, whether I have already spent more than 3 days on the book (and am therefore falling behind my self allocated schedule*), or whether I already have my eye on what I am going to read next.
*my schedule in arithmetic terms is 365 (days of the year) divided by 166 (books) = 2.2 days.
Gone are the days when I read a book a day, generally, so each book's time allowance works out to a little over 2 days. When they take 4 or 5 days either because of length or because I just reading slowly, I really do get antsy.
The funny thing is that I can actually have enjoyed reading a book, or later, when I am writing my review, I come to a realisation of just how much the book gave me to think about, and I will still give it a high rating.
The other strange thing I have noted recently is that my reading often seems to speed up in the second half of the book. I can't quite decide whether that means I am skimming a bit more without really noticing it.
What about you? Are you an impatient reader?