21 June 2012

Review: THE BURNING EDGE, Rick Mofina

  • Format - read as an e-book courtesy review copy from NetGalley
  • Mass Market Paperback: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Mira; Original edition (December 20, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0778313018
  • ISBN-13: 978-0778313014
Synopsis (Amazon)

Lisa Palmer has barely recovered from the sudden death of her husband when she is drawn into a new nightmare. On her way home from upstate New York, Lisa stops at a service center minutes before an armored car heist. Four men are executed before her eyes—one, an off-duty FBI agent she tried to help. Now Lisa is the FBI's secret witness and the key to finding the fugitive killers.
FBI agent Frank Morrow leads the investigation of the high-profile case. Hiding a very personal secret, Frank knows this assignment will be like no other he's ever faced…and it could be his last.
Pressured to land an exclusive, journalist Jack Gannon chases the elusive thread of an anonymous tipster. With every instinct telling Jack the story is within his grasp, he risks everything to reveal the chilling truth…before the cold-blooded killers can take the next step in their vengeful mission.

Marketing Copy supplied by publisher

A SINGLE MOTHER BECOMES AN EYEWITNESS TO MURDER
Lisa Palmer has barely recovered from the sudden death of her husband when she is drawn into a new nightmare. On her way home from upstate New York, Lisa stops at a service center minutes before an armored car heist. Four men are executed before her eyes—one, an off-duty FBI agent she tried to help. Now Lisa is the FBI’s secret witness and the key to finding the fugitive killers.

A HAUNTED FBI AGENT FEARS THIS CASE IS HIS LAST
FBI agent Frank Morrow leads the investigation of the high-profile case. Hiding a very personal secret, Frank knows this assignment will be like no other he’s ever faced…and it could be his last.

A RELENTLESS REPORTER MUST NAIL THE STORY BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE
Pressured to land an exclusive, journalist Jack Gannon chases the elusive thread of an anonymous tipster. With every instinct telling Jack the story is within his grasp, he risks everything to reveal the chilling truth…before the cold-blooded killers can take the next step in their vengeful mission.

My Take

I don't think I actually like Jack Gannon, the high profile journalist at the centre of Rick Mofina's books, but he certainly is determined and focussed in what he believes the purpose of a journalist is: to discover and publish the truth.
This has the effect of making him appear determined to use people. He has, to give him his due, already served a jail sentence for refusing to reveal his sources. But not everyone he approaches for information is happy with his technique.
    “What I don’t get—” she stabbed her salad with her fork “—is why do you need to know? That’s part of a police investigation.” “He needs to know because he’s reporting on the heist,” Brad said. “I asked him, Brad.” “Journalists investigate, too,” Gannon said. “I’ve got a tip, a long-shot tip I’m working on
    that may be connected to the case.” “What is it?” “It’s a bit vague right now, but it’s possible
    someone with advance knowledge on the case contacted the WPA.” Anita put her fork down and turned to Gannon. “If that’s true, you should tell the FBI.” “I’m not a police informant. I’m a journalist and I investigate independently.” “Except when you need our help, like now.”
However, one thing I can say is that Rick Mofina builds a compelling story and the reader is constantly assessing its credibility.

In the author's note at the end of THE BURNING EDGE Rick Mofina says
    The Burning Edge is loosely inspired by a true case, a commando-style armored car heist that I’d covered many years ago while working as a crime reporter.
    Other aspects of the novel were drawn from real-life situations that I, or others I knew, have
    experienced. But I won’t go into any of it here. It’s too personal.
My rating: 4.4

I've also reviewed all the earlier novels in the Jack Gannon series
4.5, VENGEANCE ROAD (2009) 
THE PANIC ZONE (2010)
4.2, IN DESPERATION (2011)

Author's website

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie - It's interesting isn't it when you don't like the protagonist even if a story is compelling. I'm glad this one worked for you in terms of the plot and the pace.

Irene said...

I'm afraid I don't like pushy journalists, sometimes printing the "truth" hurts many people. Not sure this is for me. so glad you enjoyed the writing.

Dalene @ A Date with a Book said...

I love crime fiction! This is a new series/book to me. I think that's great that you still enjoyed the book even if you didn't click so much with a character. Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin