Mostly the challenges that I follow help me direct my reading. As such, some will not provide a challenge, simply indicate how well I am doing.
Some of the challenges are external to this blog while others are hosted here or on a blog that I manage.
In practical terms I do allow some challenges to overlap, that is, most books will appear in more than one challenge.
In addition many of the challenges are simply continuations of challenges I took on last year.
NB: This page is a work in progress
Last updated 201 February 2017
- 2017 Good Reads Reading Challenge. I have set my challenge at 130. Currently:21
- Agatha Christie Reading Challenge Completed in 2014, titles read in 2017: 1
- 2017 Global Reading Challenge currently 15/21
- USA Fiction Challenge So far 21/51, this year: 4
- 2017 Aussie Author Reading Challenge: aiming for 20: currently 4
- 2017 Australian Women Writers Challenge: aiming for 20. Currently 0
- British Books Challenge 2017 currently 65
- Vintage Cover Scavenger Hunt currently xx
- 2016 Ebook Reading Challenge currently 6
- New to me authors - a personal challenge currently 9
- Not crime fiction - a personal challenge currently 1
- Nordic reading challenge - a personal challenge unless I find an "official" one, currently 1
- New Zealand reading challenge - again a personal challenge unless I can find someone hosting an "official" one. currently 1
- Translated crime fiction - a personal challenge that will overlap with many of the other reading challenges that I have undertaken. currently 1
- Snagged at the Library currently: 11
- Audio books: currently: 2
- 2016 Mt TBR reading challenge. currently: 0 (Aiming for 12 at least)
- 2017 Historical Reading Challenge. Currently: 7
- Crime Fiction of the Year Challenge @ Past Offences - a monthly challenge. Each month features a particular year of publication: Currently: 2
|2017 Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge hosted by Corinne Rodrigues
Aiming for 130.
So far this year: 21
This challenge has its own record page at 2017 Reviews.
|2017 Good Reads Reading Challenge.|
I have set my challenge at 130
Currently : 21
|Agatha Christie Reading Challenge
How to join the Agatha Christie Reading Challenge
This is one that I host.
I completed the challenge in 2014 and so here this year I'll record blog posts related to Agatha Christie, probably mainly related to short stories.
|2017 Global Reading Challenge: 13/21 |
I have committed myself to reading 21 titles, all crime fiction, 3 titles each from 7 "continents". My 7th continent - historical crime fiction.
I can count separate Australian states - 3
USA Fiction Challenge ongoing
USA Fiction Challenge ongoing
So here I will just keep a summary of the number of states covered, as well as a list of US crime fiction I've read in 2017.
Total so far 21/51
Books read 2017: 4
| and |
Silver Vintage: books written 1960 - 1989
|Vintage Cover Scavenger Hunt
This is hosted by Bev at My Reader's Block.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to find as many objects on the scavenger hunt list as possible on the covers of the mystery books you read.
You may play along in either the Golden or Silver Mystery Eras (or, for the more adventurous, both)
I have created a special page for this challenge and will then update that when needed.
The aim is to read at least 12 books by British authors. This is really not much of a challenge for me as I read so much British crime fiction, so the challenge is really just a way of keeping my records. Not sure I will join an "official" challenge.
|The Aussie Author Challenge 2017 is being hosted at Booklover Book Reviews|
I'm aiming initially at Kangaroo (12 titles) but the reality is that I will read many more than that.
Read and review 12 titles written by Australian Authors of which at least 4 of those authors are female F,
I can see I may have a problem with the 3 genre aspect.
|2017 Australian Women Writers Challenge|
I will be aiming to read about 20 titles, all crime fiction. They will also count for the Aussie Author Challenge (above)
|2017 Ebook Reading Challenge|
Here is another that is probably not much of a challenge for me as I read so much on my Kindle.
|This is a personal challenge. I intend to read as many new-to-me authors as I can.|
|Not crime fiction |
Another personal challenge: a reminder to myself that I need occasionally to read outside the crime fiction genre.
|Nordic Reading challenge|
Another personal challenge: a reminder to myself that I want to keep an eye on Nordic/Scandinavian crime fiction and to keep records of my reading.
|New Zealand Reading challenge|
Resource on CrimeWatch
Another personal challenge: a reminder to myself that I want to keep an eye on New Zealand crime fiction and to keep records of my reading.
|Translated crime fiction|
This will overlap with a number of the other challenges and is really just a record of translated titles that I've read this year.
|A Personal challenge/record|
|Snagged at the Library|
I am a consistent "supporter" of my local library, but it will help me keep a nice record of my borrowed books.
That is a picture of my local library on the left.
|2016 Mt TBR reading challenge|
hosted again by Bev at My Reader's Block.
With my TBR standing at over 200 I have to do something positive!
Pike's Peak: 12 books
Mount Blanc: 24 books
Mt. Vancouver: 36 books
Mt. Ararat: 48 books
Mt. Kilimanjaro: 60 books
El Toro: 75 books
Mt. Everest: 100 books
Mount Olympus (Mars): Read 150+ books
The challenge requires that I choose a level.
I'll choose Pike's Peak to start with but hopefully I can do better than that. I'll mark myposts TBR2016
|2017 Historical Fiction Reading Challenge||Again a record just for me.|
I'm going to be a bit flexible here and allow myself to include books that have a fair bit of history included in the story. They will still be crime fiction. I will indicate which historical period they relate to.
| 100 Crime Fiction Reads of all time (2 lists)|
See also on Good Reads - popular by date